Aug 6, 2011

MTV World Stage 2011

This is a (much delayed) post about my experience while attending the MTV World Stage 2011 which happened recently. To be honest, there almost wasn't this experience but with what I like to call divine intervention, everything just fell into place.

It all started on the morning of the event when I was woken up with a little bit of great wonderful news from my dad. "You're going to MTVWS11'". I couldn't believe my ears. I was so upset the day before as I was coming to terms with not going, and this happened. Extremely happy, I sort of ran around in my room feeling on cloud 9 for a good 5 minutes (something I can recall doing while receiving identical news 2 years ago). You see, 30 Seconds To Mars was playing and I really wanted to go. I've been a fan of this band since high school and it would be amazing to see them live.

I decided to bring my younger brother with me as I wanted him to know how it felt like to go to an actual concert. I've had my fair share of them and so far they have been nothing short of amazing. Surprisingly, traffic wasn't a hassle and parking was a breeze. My brother and I were extremely excited for what was to come later in the night.

To kick things off was a local rock band going by the name Pop Shuvit. Am not really a fan of the band but they did give a head-banging performance. Next, was this Korean Pop act to come on stage. Quite honestly, I thought they had no place to be on the stage. With names like Pop Shuvit, Neon Trees and 30 Seconds To Mars, I really felt like they were out of place. Quite honestly I thought 'boy-bands' phased out in the 21st century. Guess I was wrong.

Girls (and boys) alike thronged the concert grounds anticipating these 6 Korean dudes, which go by B2$T by the way, to get on stage. And if you are puzzled by how to pronounce the name of this pop band, it's supposedly 'BEAST'. Do not tell me how or why they pronounce it that way, but in my books, B2$T will NEVER, EVER, EVER, look and be pronounced as BEAST. Nuff' on that, they sang (or I think they lip-synched) their way through 6 extremely lyrically-challenged songs. What really troubled me was that a girl standing next to me was balling her eyes out when they got on stage. And when they left, she teared up even more. Hard-core fan huh? When B2$T were done, it seemed like 1/6 of the audience left the concert grounds. I was rather shocked but hey, it was their loss. The best performances were yet to come.

Next to grace the stage was Neon Trees. Now, this band was sort of a bonus for me. I did not really know a lot of their songs, but I was excited to see what they had to give. And boy did they give! Tyler Glenn gave an outstanding performance and he was very entertaining. He didn't mind making a fool of himself on stage, but it was all for the sake of showmanship. He belted out their songs (3 of which I actually knew) and most of the crowd sang along happily to them. Tyler had a way with the audience and there wasn't a moment when I was bored. This was truly an entertaining act. And not to mention the backdrops they used (notice the 'eye')? Cool right? Well, if this was the main course, dessert was to be served next. The band I was anticipating to see for so many years (you don't even know) were up next and I couldn't be more ecstatic. My adrenaline was on an all time high here.

After the the stage was set, Shannon Leto came on stage and started with the drums. I say, he is an excellent drummer. He built up the anticipation for his brother to come on stage and when Jared finally did, the crowd went into a frenzy. I have to admit, not only can Jared sing, he also can pass as a model. No, really, did you see his HUGO Just Different ad? I bet all the girls that day just melted away by his good looks and charm and the guys were just ready to get the show started. I know I was. Now enough of that, the music. They sang 8 songs in total and I sang along to each and every one of them. It was absolutely amazing.

30 Seconds To Mars is a band with a cause. They care about the environment and they advocate world peace. It's a great cause and they spread the word through their music. Simple I say cause music can actually unite people, and if it's for a good cause, why not. Well, the show went off and Jared, Shannon and Tomo gave a stellar performance. Jared was great with the crowd. He called many people on stage for the finale and to be honest, if i was not enclosed in the separate VIP area, I would have ran upfront and make him drag me on stage. How cool would it be to actually 'share' the stage with them? It was quite a nice gesture to the fans because not many artists who come to Malaysia actually do that. Well, to see what really went down while I was there, catch the entire show on-air. Check out showtimes here.

To conclude, MTV World Stage 2011 was a hit. Though there were a few misses with performers for the night, Neon Trees and 30 Seconds To Mars made up for it. To say that I would go again to any one of the band's shows, I will. But I will have to wait and when the time (and money) is right, I'll probably be at one of those shows rocking it out happily. Now, if only I could score tickets to a Coldplay show...

Ps// To all my readers out there, this is officially my 100th post!

Pps// If you are reading this blog, thank you very much!

Ppps// If you are still reading, peace!  v(^^)v

No comments: