Nov 20, 2011

The Story So Far...

1. I realized that time moves extremely fast when you're having fun. It seems like only yesterday since I left home and today marks the 3rd month of my stay here in MN. I am having a blast here, and I have met so many different and great people along the way. I have to admit though, I do not really know many people from my country here. I have no idea why but it almost seems like they want nothing to do with me. Oh well, I have made my group of friends already so I don't mind.

2. I have surprised myself countless times since my stay here. Before I left I was a nervous wreck. I doubted myself in EVERYTHING. But I proved myself wrong when I decided to take all the necessary (and possible) risks I could. I purposely came here without contacting any of the Malaysians prior because I wanted to find the place I would call home myself. I want to be independent. If I did contact them (an option most of the Malaysians here do) I perhaps wouldn't have discovered my full potential. Yes it is a safe way to be with Malaysians, but I did not travel 9000 miles away from home to hang out or chill with my buddies from...Malaysia. Hence, most of my friends are Americans. Not to brag here, but seriously it all worked out in the end. I am extremely happy here now and I have 'family' of my own here already. If you guys happen to be reading this, you know who you are. :)

3. Classes are going. Yes they are. Albeit the classes being 900 times harder than they were back home, I am still hanging on. I do update my parents in everything (yes I still give them updates on my quiz & test scores) and they are actually OK with it. I mean they tell me to keep it up, be determined and in the end God will prevail. At one point I wanted to give up, but a talk from mom proved to be what I really needed. After that, I was more determined than ever.

4. I do miss my family. Despite me having a great time here, there are those moments (sometimes at the worst possible time) that I get that sense of nostalgia where I am enjoying the great times I had with my family, not to forget, the scrumptious home-cooked meals my mom made. I really miss her sup tulang. Ahh...her sup tulang. Oh and not to mention her rendang, her CHICKEN RICE, her EVERYTHING SHE COOKS! Wow, I never realized I missed Malaysian food this much. But hey I am proving to be a good cook here. Made myself a couple of delicious meals before and I have many more months of discovering my cooking skills. I cannot wait to get back and make my family a dish instead. Besides the food, I miss the cats. Yes I do.

5. This morning during our Skype session with the family back home, I received great news after great news after great news. Life is good. Life is looking up. I am happy. I am content. Thank you God. :)

1 comment:

Ainaa SS said...

Happy early birthday Faiz!